Monday, June 9, 2014

Test Knitting: Alexandra Shawl

Last fall I had the privilege of doing a test knit which combined a favorite designer with a favorite fiber.  Test knitting is when you receive a pattern to knit, checking that it is written correctly and well. They want to know if the pattern is do-able for anyone who might want to purchase it when released. Usually, you are asked to keep tabs on how many hours it takes to knit the particular project.  For me, this lace shawl took just about 50 hours. 
 
I love test knitting - as it challenges me to read the pattern with fresh, new eyes and many times there is a deadline to ensure that all information is returned in time for any adaptions to be completed before going public.  


The Alexandra Shawl is designed by Anniken Allis, who also designed Sharon's Snowflake shawl. She was commissioned to design this new project by Sweet Georgia Yarns.  SGY makes the fabulous and oh so scrumptious luxury yarn, CashSilk Lace (55% silk, 45% cashmere)!!! This pattern called for small glass beads to compliment the design. I used about 15 grams of a color which blends into the blue, until the light hits them and they go a deep, rich red.  Unfortunately, they are a little hard to see in my photos. 


The pattern is now available for sale and I thought you might like to see the photos I took to send along with my rave reviews.  These photos were taken at the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge on a glorious late fall day.  I figured a shawl named Alexandra, which is full of lotas flowers, deserved a proper setting - and it made me think of water and gators! Wasn't I lucky to have a proper location right in my own town? 


Please remember that the content and photos on this blog are copyrighted.  The pattern is available for purchase at the SGY website linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.