Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cheesecake Treats:flavor without all the calories!

I really like dessert but the fact is that I've enjoyed too many desserts in my life. But to forfeit something sweet as I undertake losing weight isn't really an option for me either. This is a lifestyle change, so I have to rethink the treat and the quantity I can have.  Some people can handle a thimble-full of something and be satisfied but not me! I started playing with recipes that might offer me a proper, full-sized snack without putting the breaks on my weight loss.  I love the Cherry Cheese-pie recipe for just these reasons. Playing off this recipe, I wondered how to add flavor without the calories.  It hit me when I was adding a flavor packet to my water!  Yep, zero calories (well, most are) and lots of yummy taste - the perfect combo.  
 
What you need:
8 ounces Cream Cheese (I use fat free)
16 ounces Cool Whip Topping (I use fat free here also)
16 ounce drink flavor packets (I use 2 for great flavor)
1 Tablespoon Sweetener (I use Truvia)










Putting it together:
Allow your cream cheese to soften and thaw the whipped topping.  Select your favorite flavoring. Mix all the ingredients together until they are a smooth mixture.  Chill until it firms up again.



I like to put this on Graham Cracker squares for a really tasty treat with a bit of crunch.  I also add some fresh fruit to compliment the selected cheesecake flavor.  

Thoughts:  Put this in your choice of crust just before serving. Serve chilled. I think this would make a lovely parfait if you alternate the cheesecake, Graham Cracker crumbs and fresh fruit. Adjust the level of flavor by adding or subtracting the number of drink packets you use.  I'd use confectioner's sugar as the sweetener if you don't want to use artificial. Mixing the ingredients with a mixer on high helps reduce a sensation of 'crystals' in the cheesecake. 

2 comments:

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.