Sunday, August 3, 2014

I(n)Spired!

Most of you know that I have a passion for knitting - lace items in particularly.  This pattern has become a favorite among all that I've knitted. It is Spire by Leila Raabe who designed it for Brooklyn Tweed. 
 
The yarn was a new brand for me to knit with - Northbound Knitting Superwash BFL Fingering - but I already have plans to purchase more next week when I visit The Tinsmith's Wife, in Comfort, Texas.  It knits up beautifully and worked out awesomely well for this wrap.  I was able to purchase 3 skeins of Midnight colorway and one of Nocturne. 

I decided to work the darker colors first and work my way out to the lightest at the edge.  It very nearly worked out perfectly, except that I was shy about 4 inches of the Nocturne in completing the lace border and had to revert to the darker colorway to finish the project. It really isn't as noticeable as my intentional photo shows but rather it blends beautifully due to the fabulous dyeing of this company.  I have about 80 hours of knitting in my Spire.  It blocked out to 56" square and used nearly 1750 yards of yarn.  
 

Of note, this is also one of the first patterns I've knit and allowed myself to be the model.  I have recently lost over 45 pounds (Weight Watchers and lots of walking!) and am just now getting comfortable with being photographed.  My husband, Kelly, is the photographer for all photos where I'm modeling the shawl.  





3 comments:

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.