Sunday, November 2, 2014

Haven Poncho!

I'm in heaven over this latest test knit! As our weather has finally added a little nip of cool air to our days, this is my new go-to wrap for running errands.  It is the Haven Poncho by designer Holli Yeoh.  She has designed a wonderful group of patterns for Felicia Lo's Sweet Georgia Yarns and created a book entitled Tempest.  



While this collection is selected to have optimal beauty when using my favorite line of luxury yarns, it works well in yarns from my stash collection as well.  For my test knit I used Madtosh Merino Light yarns in a variety of colorways - all were already in my craft room just waiting for me to combine them into a unique, one-of-a-kind, stylish statement piece!  

In Haven, you carry double strands of fiber, first the same colorway then blending by carrying two independent colors.  The blending is colorful and subtle at the same time. I also placed the simple wooden buttons I found on both sides, making this a truly reversible poncho.  While the design calls the reverse garter section the "front", it works and looks great with the stockinette side forward also.  This is a slightly deceptive pattern in that the reverse garter stitch has a tendency to row out (group two rows together in an unintended striped look) if you don't pay close attention.  I used a smaller needle on the purl stitches to help offset this issue.  I also knit slower and with more attention than normally given a simple pattern. It will take even the fastest knitter a bit of time to get through the yardage of this fabulous piece.  Take time and persevere because I'm confident that this will become your favorite wrap to grab when rushing out the door!
 
The cost of the fiber is another issue for this piece.  If knit in the yummy fiber suggested, the cost is very near $400!  Even using the lovely Merino Light, the cost of fiber can run near $200.  I recommend that you knit this piece but as a heirloom item that you intend to wear now and pass down later.  This means that you will also have to be a bit more reserved in your colorway choices - keeping to colors that work with a multitude of other colors in your wardrobe - base colors that go with whatever you use in your new favorite poncho. 


PS These photos were taken after I finished the poncho and before the pattern was released.  This means that my husband (acting photographer) took these photos in August on one of the hottest days of the year - hence the cropped pants and sandals and a couple blurry ones taken in a rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There will be a delay in comments posting as they are verified before publishing.

Please use follow by email to receive email within 24 hours of a new posting. Subscribe does not seem to work, so again, please follow by email.